Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Love Generation (Robot Version)

A short post this time around, because it's 3:30 in the morning and I have mono and really should be sleeping. Still, it's been about a week since I last wrote, and I want to try to try to write at least once a week for this blog, to ensure that I don't just forget about it and let it lie fallow.

Anyway! I have recently become enamored with with the song "Love Generation" by Bob Sinclair. Like most songs that I love, this one is excessively long, but unlike most music that I love, it isn't weird or experimental or anything like that. It's actually pretty much just pop music. But it's got this great, driving beat in it that just keep going seemingly into infinity, and the guitar keeps looping around, and there's a delightful tune being whistled in the background. Its basically everything you could ever hope to dance to, and it makes for great party music, and also great space out music. Those three don't coalesce very often.



So, after a semester of hearing this song, I finally decided I needed to have it on my computer. Feeling cheap (and also perhaps a bit altered from some of the medicine I'm taking to combat my illnesses), I tired to just record the above youtube video in Audacity, which is a free (and pretty damn powerful) audio recorder. However, I couldn't get it to record from my soundcard for some reason (probably related either to the illnesses or the medication), so instead I did something that would normally be rather stupid: I connected my computer's audio-out port (for speakers) to my audio-in port (for microphones). Then I hit record.

When I came back to the file nine minutes later, I found that I had not captured the music well at all. At least, I didn't capture it as Bob Sinclair wrote it. I did, however, create something totally awesome, totally by accident. By slaving my audio-in and -out ports together, I made everything sound all static-y and reverb-y, except that for some reason the vocals and the whistling came through just fine. The result is definitely not something that I would call party music, unless perhaps you're having a techno party, and then it might just be in order. If you're into electronica at all, I would recommend giving this new file a listen—I think it's quite amazing actually, and I can't believe it was a total accident. In case you're wondering, this is probably the definition of serendipity.

Oh, and headphones are recommended. And yes, this does mean that I somehow managed to turn one of the few long non-elitist songs that I like into something crazy, weird, and out-there. Accident, or subconscious impulse? The jury's still out.

Love Generation (Robot Version)

In other news, I had another review published at The Silent Ballet last week. This record's not as great, so I won't go too much into it, but if you're interested in reading it, here's a link. One of my writers also published a review of an interesting project related to Terry Riley's justly famous In C; if you're at all interested in (relatively) contemporary classical music, I suggest you check that one out much faster.

Oh yeah, and I'm done with that whole college thing now. How about that?

No comments:

Post a Comment